Saturday, November 27, 2010

 Constantine Manos
      6.  The work of Constantine Manos is loosely related to how I would like to accomplish my work in this project but I really enjoy the angles that he has used as well as the sense of mystery in this image as well as in some of his other work.  The image provokes many questions and leaves the meaning of the piece up to the viewer’s interpretation.  It has a distinct feel of the moment in between two events.  The waiting period where you sit down to have a smoke.  I think incorporating angles such as this where it leaves much to be questions will work very well for my own project.
 Dr. Harold Edgerton
      8.  Edgerton uses the study of motion within almost all of his images and I think that this image in particular relates to how I would like to accomplish some motion within some of my images.  As I mentioned before I would like to show motion within my images to emphasize the moment in-between two events and to show the figures rushing.  I would like to capture images similar to this one in that someone is doing a task such as unpacking a car or loading a suitcase in my own imagery.  This image shows the time progressing between the two events that this person is between and I hope that this will be an interesting interpretation of that idea.
 Grace Kim
      5. The photographer for this next image is Grace Kim.  I was not to familiar with Kim’s work prior to the research for this project but I thought her work was a very good example of hotel photography in a fine arts sense.  Her chosen angles are very interesting as well as her use of light and mystery within her work.  The cheesy hotel décor is very interesting contrast with serious and dramatic lighting.  I would like to use this kind of juxtaposition within some of my work for this series as well.  The sense of the moment in between is perfectly captured and very relatable in images such as these because in all honesty we have all stayed in this kind of generic and tasteless kind of hotel and I think the work will be stronger if the viewer is able to relate to the situation that is presented to them.
Henri Cartier-Bresson
      4.  This image is by photographer Henri Cartier-Bresson.  His use of the flow of motion differs from that of Titarenko he uses only a single figure to show motion and movement instead of a crowd of people.  This use of motion also pertains to my idea for my project.  Such as a single person rushing to do something to get somewhere different which once again shows the idea of the space between.  The decisive moment will also play a large role in this project and this image is the perfect way to show what way I would like to accomplish that.

 Patrick Zachmann
      7.  This is the work of Patrick Zachmann.  Zachmann’s work is another that only loosely relates to mine but once again I find the angles that he uses to relate to my own hopes for the work within this project.   His angles also provoke a sense of mystery but at the same time to me it seems that the person in this is waiting for something like they are stuck there between two events the slight gesture of scratching their foot with another hints at that person waiting for something and I would very much like to capture this angle and body language in this project.
 Otto Steinert
      9.  The work of Otto Steinert captures the figure the exact way that I imagine it in my mind when I first thought of this idea for this project.  The figures are ghost like and ethereal as if they are not completely they’re merely a vessel traveling from one place to another.   This is one of the ways that I would like to capture the figure in my images for this project.  Another aspect of this image that I would like to emulate is the level of the camera when the image was taken.  The lower eye level gives the image a more observational view than a participatory one and this is another thing that I would like to accomplish.
 Annie Leibovitz
      3. This third image is by Annie Leibovitz.  She had done a series in the Penninsula Hotels.  This image is more about how I would like to capture the surroundings of the people as opposed to my previous examples.  I would like to emulate the idea of repetition and use the surroundings of the hotel as well as Leibovitz.  Not only the use of placing the subject on the third line but also the idea of employee’s going throughout their routines showing how they seem almost caught in the moment in between.
 10.  This is another image by Otto Steinert.  As I said before, I really enjoy the way in which the figure is shown within Steinert’s images.  I also enjoy the angle used in this image.  The overhead angle is yet another observers viewpoint which is used well within Steinert’s image.  The use of other organic forms such as the tree remaining still is also another interesting thing within this image that I would like to incorporate into my work




Alexy Titarenko
      1. This first image is by photographer Alexey Titarenko.  I would like to use the same technique that Titarenko uses in his images in which the figures have become barely recognizable ghosts of their actual form.  The stillness of the surroundings contrasted to the flow of the motion and the sense of restlessness of the people perfectly represents the idea of the moment in between.  The way in which the human figure is depicted as a blurred suggestion of the human form is the perfect way to represent the sense of movement and unrest within this idea.
      2. This is another Titarenko piece and I really enjoy the way in which the majority of the figures are moving and showing the same movement and representation of the human form as previously mentioned.  However in this particular image I like the way in which he kept a few of the figures still.  I would like to use this technique in the same kind of way to represent not only the of the moment between but the sense of loneliness and thought that comes with the idea of being unsettled and being caught in the moment in-between.

No comments:

Post a Comment